Thursday, March 6, 2014

Crock Pot Magic: Spicy Pulled Chicken

So apparently there is an egg white shortage in America. Companies and corporations are now requesting egg whites and adding them as an option on their menu. Is this America's effort in becoming "healthier"? Being scared of yolks? I don't think that's a good first step, but it's somewhat of a step!




Guess what? I whipped out the crock pot today!

And what did I make?
Some spicy pulled chicken! I'm amazed by how easy it was!
Boy, was this spicy! It was a really nice kick though! The cilantro gave me a nice fresh relief and made the dish smell fantastic!

Spicy Crockpot Pulled Chicken 

Ingredients (6-8 servings)

  • 2 lbs chicken breast
  • 1 tomato on the vine
  • 1 can (14.5 oz) fire roasted tomatoes
  • 1 can (4 oz) diced green chille
  • 1/2 onion (can add more, that's all I had on hand. I used red.)
  • 2 celery stalks
  • 3 cloves of fresh garlic
  • 2 tablespoons of chili sauce (I used Sambal Oelek) <- that stuff is amazing.
  • 1 Tbs coconut oil
  • 1 Tbs chili powder
  • 1 Tbs cumin
  • Adobo seasoning or salt to taste
  • Pepper to taste
  • Garlic & onion powders to taste
  • Costco no salt seasoning (optional, I just like the flavor and am not watching my sodium intake)
  • Cilantro (to garnish)

Instructions

  1. Chop up the onion and garlic and sautee them for a bit in a pan with some oil until the start becoming brown. This is to bloom them in order to get the flavor out.
  2. Dice tomatoes and chop up celery into bite sized pieces
  3. Throw (not literally unless you're good at aiming) all ingredients into the the crock pot and give it a quick stir.
  4. PLUG YOUR CROCKPOT IN and turn it on to low. 
  5. Leave it alone for 9-10 hours.
  6. When finished, take 2 forks or a fork and spoon or chopsticks or  and just shred the chicken. I was so amazed by how easily it shredded.
I precut anything that needed to be precut the night before and put them in containers. At 8 AM, I opened cans and containers, threw everything into the crockpot, plugged it in, turned it on, and went to class. When I got back at around 6 PM, it was ready to DEVOUR. Garnished with cilantro, dinner is served. 
Enjoy!

How much did this recipe cost me?


  • 2 lbs chicken x $1.90/lb = $3.80
  • 1 tomato ~ $0.70
  • 1 can of tomato ~$1.00
  • 1 can of chille ~$1.00
  • 2 Celery Stalks ~$0.50
  • 1/2 Onion ~$0.50 (red tends to be pricier)
  • Garlic ~$0.50
  • Spices ~$1.00
  • Cilantro (bunch) ~$0.50
    • Total = $14. This should give me around 8 meals ~$1.75/meal
      • Good deal bro.



Have you invested in a crockpot yet?
What's your favorite recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment